Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hickory Nut Pie

I attended the Amish sale last week where I scooped up a large amount of hickory nuts, in the shell, for a very reasonable price. My father-in-law loves cracking the nuts, and we love receiving them. One gentlemen asked me what in the heck I do with that large amount of nuts. My response "I make a Hickory Nut Pie", he had never heard of such a thing. He asked that I share the recipe with him, so I decided to share with my blog followers.

This is one of my husband's favorite pies.....enjoy.

Hickory Nut Pie

2 ½ cups hickory nuts

3 large eggs, beaten

¾ cup brown sugar

¾ cup dark corn syrup

5 Tablespoons butter, melted

1 Tablespoon bourbon

2 teaspons vanilla extract

Use your favorite single pie crust recipe.

Make Filling:

Coarsely chop 1 cup of hickory nuts. Beat eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, bourbon and vanilla in bowl. Stir in remaining 1 ½ cups of hickory nuts.

Pour filling in prepared pie crust. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Rena M Ripp

No comments:

Post a Comment